British Airways has a promotion ending tonight that can get you a value of 2 cents for Avios points. Here’s how it works. You will only need to exchange 5,000 Avios to get $100 off per person on any transatlantic round-trip flight to London or Europe in World Traveller (economy) or World Traveller Plus (premium economy), when you travel before March 31, 2019. What’s more, you can enjoy the $100 saving per person on your booking (up to nine people). Meaning a family of four can save $400 on round-trip flights to London or Europe with 20,000 Avios. You simply need 5000 Avios for each person on your booking.
- This offer is available to British Airways Executive Club Members resident in the United States of America who have an Avios balance of 5000 or more
- The offer is available when booking British Airways and American Airlines operated transatlantic flights in World Traveller (economy) and World Traveller Plus (premium economy) cabins only, departing from the US to London or Europe (Eligible Flight) and travelling before March 31, 2019. Any routes from the US to the following transatlantic countries are excluded from this offer: Algeria, Morocco, Nigeria and St Petersburg in Russia.
- The offer entitles Eligible Members booking Eligible Flights at ba.com or via a British Airways contact centre, to receive a discount of $100 per person in exchange for 5000 Avios per person (for up to 9 persons within one booking) when travelling before March 31, 2019. If there is more than one person on the booking, the Member must have 5000 Avios per person in their account to take advantage of this offer. E.g. for a round-trip booking with 4 people, the Member must have 20,000 Avios to save $100 per person.
- This offer is available on eligible bookings from Friday February 22, 2019 to 23:59 (EST) Tuesday February 26, 2019 for travel from Friday February 22, 2019 to Tuesday March 31, 2019.
A good use of of British Airways Avios. You can find some of the cheapest BA fares here, and you can take another $100 off by using 5,000 Avios per person. What makes this promotion even better is that you also earn award miles and status miles, which is not possible on award fares booked completely with Avios.
HT: God Save the Points
BA flight 2036 was supposed to take off from Orlando at 19:25 ET (00:25 GMT) on Thursday and arrive at Gatwick eight hours later. Instead it arrived in the UK on Sunday, 77 hours later, after going through New York.
Passengers have complained of sleeping on airport floors and holidaymakers crying on the “chaotic” journey home.
BBC reports that the flight was due to leave Orlando on Thursday evening but after passengers waited on the plane for four hours for a technical fault to be repaired they were forced to disembark and stay in a nearby hotel. After the flight left for Gatwick at 01:00 ET on Saturday, it was diverted to New York’s JFK airport 40 minutes after take-off. There they had to wait for hours until BA staff arrived and were left with no food and no hotel since everything was booked for the NYC marathon. Many people, children included had to sleep on airport floors.
During the three-day ordeal, passengers on social media unleashed their anger at the airline, as many complained about lack of communication and overall, “disgusting” customer service. Here’s some of the tweets from passengers:
Register, book and travel before the New Year and you can collect double Avios on all British Airways flights. This offer also includes all domestic flights in the UK and within southern Africa. As well as British Airways flights operated by their partners, American Airlines, Iberia and Finnair when travelling between Europe and North America. A decent promotion that should get you some extra Avios.
Register today and ensure that your Executive Club number is included in your next ten eligible bookings. All travel must be completed by 31 December 2018 to collect double Avios. Your double Avios award will be calculated on your base Avios, your cabin and tier bonus will apply as normal. This offer applies to new bookings made after registration only.
- Must book and fly up to 10 qualifying flights during the promotional period (27 September to 31 December 2018).
- Double Avios Points will be awarded after each sector has been flown and tracked to the members account.
- Eligible Participants will only be awarded double Avios calculated from the base Avios, the number of Avios to be awarded will be calculated before any cabin and tier bonuses E.g. if your base Avios is 350, your bonus Avios awarded will be 350 Avios.
- Check promo page for qualifying flights
Iberia has a great promotion recently and I’m sure many readers too advantage of it. You could earn as much as 90,000 Avios per person by booking 10 of the cheapest flights you could find. That meant that initially you could buy Avios for as little as 0.2 cents a piece. Even after the cheapest flights were gone, you were still able to buy Avios for about 0.3 cents, which is still a great bargain.
Initially there was some skepticism. And it was understandable since the promotion did look like it was too good to be true. But eventually the bonus Avios started posting for those who followed the rules.
These bonus Avios from Iberia are not like any other Avios. They were cheap but have some restrictions.
- The Avios must be redeemed by March 1, 2019 (you can travel at a later date)
- If you transfer these Avios to British Airways “you will have a negative balance in the Iberia Plus programme” once they are not used by 12/1/18.
Besides the transfer being forbidden in the terms, is was also blocked in the transfer process, so you couldn’t do it anyway. But now it seems that Iberia is tracking back. You are now able to transfer these bonus Avios into your British Airways Executive Club account.
Should You Transfer Avios to British Airways?
First of all, to be able to transfer Avios, you need to have had both accounts open for at least 90 days. Then there’s the issue of whether you should transfer just yet.
While the transfer is now possible, the terms on the bonus Iberia Avios earned from the promotion still stand. So it is a possibility that you could end up with a negative balance on Dec 1st. I would say that’s a bit unlikely since Iberia took action to make this change, but it’s better to wait for some kind of confirmation first.
Then there’s the question of which Avios are better for you. British has higher fees usually so look into that before transferring. Also we do not know what happens to the expiration date once the Avios are transferred. I would think that December 1st still stands.
This new development makes these points more valuable since you can combine them with British Avios. But for now I would still be cautious and wait for confirmation from Iberia that transfers are OK. I have yet to use my Iberia Avios. I was looking to redeem them for a trip to Europe in August but I waited too long and availability is gone.
British Airways Settlement
A settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit against British Airways. In the lawsuit, Plaintiffs allege that British Airways charged fuel surcharges on award flights to members of its frequent flyer program that breached its contract. The Court has not decided who is right. Both parties have agreed to a settlement. This British Airways Settlement applies to people who have booked award flights before 2013.
If you received the Class Notice in the mail, it indicates that you may be a Settlement Class Member. The Settlement Class includes all United States resident Executive Club Members who redeemed Avios for an award ticket from November 9, 2006 through February 17, 2019 and paid a BA-imposed fuel surcharge. A United States resident Executive Club Member and a valid United States address must have been provided at the time of booking.
How Much Do I Get?
Settlement Class Members with an Active Executive Club account will automatically have between 12,500 and 35,000 Avios (depending on how many times they redeemed Avios during the Class Period) placed in their accounts or, they may elect to receive a payment of 16.9% of the total fuel surcharges they paid in cash for all award tickets they purchased during the Class Period, with a minimum payment of $5.00 by filing a Valid Claim. Settlement Class Members without an active Executive Club account may be eligible to receive the Cash Option. If you’re eligible you can see the amount of Avios (if applicable) or cash you will receive and file a claim here.