Citi Prestige will be back next year and now we have more details and a public page about its return. The card will be once again available for signups starting on January 4th, 2019 and will have some improved benefits. But there’s also plenty of bad news. Annual fee is going up, 4th night free will have limitations and points will only be worth 1 cent each on airfare purchases.
Revamped Citi Prestige
The new information revealed through the new page is in bold. First the good news:
- 5x Thank You Points on Dining
- 5x Thank You Points Airfare Purchases (airlines and travel agencies)
- 3x Thank You Points on Cruise Lines
- 3x Thank You Points on Hotels
- $250 credit for air travel will become a general $250 travel credit
- Cell phone insurance benefit beginning on February 1, 2019
Now the bad:
- Starting March 1, 2019 the 4th Night Free Benefit will be capped at two uses per year
- You will no longer be able to redeem TYP’s for 1.25 Cents on airfare through the portal
- Increased Annual Fee: $495/yr (Grandfathered $350 Citi Priority fee will be increased as well)
- $75 fee per authorized user
- Earnings on entertainment drop from 2x to 1x Thank You Points (after March 31, 2019)
- Beginning 09/01/19, Citi Prestige Concierge will no longer be available for Fourth Night bookings
There’s plenty of good and bad news here. 5x points on dining and air travel will be a big boost to those who have lots of spend on those categories. It will easily be the go to card for dining and travel. The $250 credit for travel purchases will also be much easier to use up. On the other hand the popular 4th night free benefit will be limited to twice per calendar year. Might not affect everyone, but those who travel often will sure miss it. It also won’t be available through Citi Prestige Concierge. Value of points when redeemed for airfare on Citi portal is also knocked down to 1 cent. And the annual fee is going up.
There’s no word on what the new signup bonus will be. That will probably be the deciding factor for many people, on whether to apply or not.