American Airlines is launching a new ongoing promotion. It’s called “Economy Web Special”, which will include discounted award fares. Earlier this week American Airlines began offering AAdvantage members one-way award flights for just 5,000 miles. These cheap award are available for certain routes only.
For now it’s just the following 6 routes, and the special pricing kicks of on February 8, 2019:
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) — Wichita (ICT)
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) — Corpus Christi (CRP)
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) — Brownsville South Padre Island (BRO)
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) — McAllen (MFE)
- Phoenix (PHX) — Long Beach (LGB)
- Charlotte (CLT) — Orlando-Melbourne (MLB)
You would normally pay 7,500 miles for most of these flights, so it is a decent discount. These are not basic Economy fares, so you can choose your seat and Executive Platinum elites can even qualify for upgrades. But they do come with some limitations. You “cannot make changes” to these award flights booked through Economy Web Special.
The routes included in this Economy Web Special promotion are very limited for now, only 6. But it’s nice to see American Airlines offering such a promotion. Maybe they’re looking at Delta and their successful award discounts, which we’ve been seeing more and more lately.