American Airlines is offering up to a 30% transfer bonus when you transfer SPG Starpoints to AAdvantage miles until the end of October. The promotion expired on October 15th but has been extended. This transfer is not a good idea for most people, but could be worth it if you need some extra miles.
SPG To AA Transfer Bonus
Earn more miles toward your next trip with the American Airlines AAdvantage and Starwood Preferred Guest programs.
From September 1 through March 31, 2019, convert your Starpoints to AAdvantage miles and earn up to 30% additional AAdvantage miles from the conversions. How this works:
- Earn 20% bonus with each conversion
- Earn an additional 10,000 AAdvantage miles for every 100,000 AAdvantage miles received from conversions.
As always, for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred within the same transaction, SPG will automatically add another 5,000 Starpoints. The 20% bonus will apply after this addition.
- Offer available from March 1, 2019 at 12:01 a.m. Central Time through March 31, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. Central Time.
- Only one (1) Conversion is permitted within a 24-hour period.
- A maximum of 79,999 Starpoints may be converted in a single Conversion.
This promotion is probably not worth doing for most people, but if you need a few more AA miles it could be worth taking a look.
For every 20K Starpoints that you transfer, you will receive 30K AA Miles. To get the extra 10K bonus you need to receive 100,000 AAdvantage miles from conversions. This means that you need to transfer at least 80K Starpoints for the best value. That will give you 130K AA miles.
That’s a decent transfer, but will not be of use to many due to poor American Airlines Save Award availability. Plus many people put a high value on SPG points and with 1:3 transfers to Marriott you can get much better value through Marriott’s Hotel + Air Packages if you have that many Starpoints.