There’s a new Amex Offer that can save you a bit on Amex Gift Card purchases. We’ve seen these offers in the past and they usually make sense when stacked with free shipping and no-fee codes.
Gift Card Amex Offer
Get a one-time $10 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $200+ in one or more transactions online at americanexpress.com/gift by 12/31/2017.
- Expires 12/31/2017
- Not valid for in-store purchases.
- Excludes purchases made at third party websites.
- Excludes Logo Gift Cards and Gift Cheques. Excludes Prepaid Reloadable Cards.
- Not valid on orders over $100,000.
- Offer not valid for any purchases made by using American Express Membership Rewards® points.
How To Maximize
The offer itself knocks $10 off a gift card purchase, but these Amex Gift cards come with a $3.95 activation fee and also e $8.95 shipping fee, if you don’t have a premium shipping plan with Amex. That means that you would still end up paying extra for that $200 gift card. To offset these expenses, you can use promo codes. Here’s some active codes:
- FREESHP17A for free shipping
- SEPT09FEE for no fees till 10/15/17
With these promo codes, now it makes more sense. Since you can only use one promo code, you’re better off getting free shipping, if you don’t have a shipping plan. But on top of that you can most likely earn portal cashback as well. TopCashBack pays out 1.5%, so you can get $3 back per gift card.
Amex Gift cards are not the easiest to deal with since you can use the same avenues as Visa and Mastercard gift cards. But you can potentially get 4.5% off so even if you use them for regular spend, that would be a better discount that you would get through credit card rewards.