IHG sent out an email yesterday with a member booking update. Starting 1/1/2017 you’ll need to book direct with IHG in order to take full advantage of the benefits that come with an IHG Rewards Club membership. This will mainly affect elite status, which won’t be recognized when you book through other travel booking sites.
Here’s the email:
We’ve made a change. Effective February 1, 2019, members must book directly through IHG(IHG.com, IHG App, IHG brand sites, corporate travel sites, Central Reservations, or Hotel direct) and not through other travel booking sites in order to take full advantage of the benefits that come with an IHG Rewards Club membership. Why? We want to give you the best travel experience—from start to finish—every time. And we can only do that when you book with us directly.
Take a look at what you can get through booking directly with IHG:
• Your Rate* – a special rate that’s just for members
• Points that you can earn, track and redeem for rewarding experiences
• Personalized rewards and offers to help you make the most of every stay
• Reward Nights with no blackout dates
• Complimentary upgrades are always a nice surprise
Check out the full list of benefits that you’re guaranteed when you book directly with us.