Popular Community Bank has a checking ans savings sign up bonus that’s a bit different from the usual bonuses that we post. They are offering a 4-night or 7-night cruise and $300.
This offer is available in-branch only at the new location at 2121 Avenue U Brooklyn, NY 11229. There’s a hefty requirement. You’ll have to open a checking and savings with a combined balance of $25,000. and keep it there for 6 months. You will be charged $800 if you don’t.
If you fail to maintain the combined average monthly balance of $25,000 between the new checking and savings account for a period of six months from the account opening, the full retail value ($800.00) of the rewards will be charged. They are valuing the cruise at $500. This charge will be applied to the customer’s PCB checking or savings account no later than 30 days after the customer fails to meet any requirement.
Cash reward will be deposited into the new checking account within 30 days after account opening.
It’s hard to evaluate this deal is because we don’t know all the details. The terms say that you should refer to travel voucher for complete details of cruise voucher activation, booking instructions, guidelines, limitations and restrictions. They also state that you are responsible for travel expenses including all agency fees, taxes, port fees or additional costs associated with cruise travel. Also you will have to pay taxes on the cash reward and voucher, which is valued at $800.
The savings account has a 0.3% interest so take that into account as well, for the interest you’d be losing out on the $25,000 balance.
I’m staying away, unless I find out that this is an amazing cruise, worth the hassle.
Here’s how it works
- Offer valid between March 31, 2019 and March 30, 2019
- Existing PCB checking or savings customers and accounts are not eligible
- You must open a new checking and savings account (with a combined opening deposit balance of $25,000 made with “new money”
- Free cruise will be delivered in the form of a travel voucher provided by 3rd party vendor, Sunrise Premiums which is unaffiliated with Popular Community Bank or Popular Inc.
- Limit 1 voucher per customer.
- Cannot be combined with any other offer
- Read full terms here
I contacted Sunrise Premiums regarding the $500 voucher. Their customer rep said that most likely the offer is for their “Ultimate Cruise Offer” which is a 3, 4, 5, or 7 Night Cruise. It includes meals and shipboard entertainment. You’ll be cruising on Carnival, Royal Caribbean or Norwegian Cruise Line to fabulous ports and destinations such as: Mexico, The Caribbean, The Bahamas. You don’t do the booking through Sunrise Premiums. So the information wasn’t very specific.
She did confirm that you will be responsible for fulfillment fees and NCF (port charges and taxes).
- Where to Apply: In Branch at 2121 Avenue U Brooklyn, NY 11229
- Account Type: Checking and Savings
- Availability: Branch at 2121 Avenue U Brooklyn, NY 11229
- Expiration Date: March 30, 2019
- Hard Inquiry: Soft
- Opening Deposit Credit Card Funding: No
- Direct Deposit Requirement: No
- Other Requirements: $25,000 combined opening deposit and balance for 6 months
- Monthly Fee: None
- Other fees: $800 if you fail to maintain $25,000 balance
- Closing Account Fee: None (always best to check with the bank before closing account)